Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Update #4 - OFFICIAL: Staff team leaves

The project has gone to its halfway mark now, which also, more importantly, marks an important transition:

It's official: the staff team has left.

This means that the project roles I talked about in my last update (me being one of the men's discipleship group leaders, with my roommate Paulman being the other) are now in full effect. Joanna Wilkins and Ben Harrison are now the project co-directors, with my housemate Steve Emmons, as well as Katherine Dehm, the Evangelism team coordinators. Please pray for these four project mates of mine as things are beginning to get a bit hectic, seeing that there are only about 6 weeks of project left (time surely flies)! Pray that they will be sensitive to the leading of the Spirit of God, and that they will be building upon the foundation in Christ with works that last into eternity.

As for myself, this will be a good opportunity for me to put into practice principles I have learned from the Bible, as I will be meeting with the 3 men in my group (Steve Emmons, Ben Tsai, Jean Brunet) one on one weekly, and also during our weekly biblestudy meetings. Please pray that I will help these guys to grow as men of faith, and run the good race set out for us.


Thankfully, I will finally be getting an actual project to work on with a Psych Prof. here at St. Mary's University. Dr. Ivanoff is really eager to make sure that I will be learning lots as I help him do some data analyses, which is just great! As well, there's a student named Wafa who is working for him as a research assistant, so I am really looking forward to getting into some conversations with her, hopefully leading into a sharing of my faith.


In the past 2 weeks, in addition to some random evangelistic meetings I have gotten the chance to go into around the university campuses here, I have also gotten the chance to meetup with an international student named Kenny from the Bahamas, who happens to be an Anglican!, and a Chinese Ph.D. student named Peng.

Kenny has grown up as a Christian, but currently he is facing some struggles and doubts in his walk with God, so I will be hoping to get to meetup with him again in the near future to see how he's doing. As for Peng, my project mate Johnson Chuang and I got the chance to meetup with him over coffee, and although he has come into contact with many Christians since coming to Halifax 2 years ago, his heart is still closed to the Gospel. Please pray that the Spirit will just continue to use me and Johnson to speak to Kenny and Peng in the coming weeks.


Two important events coming up in the next few weeks are two community BBQ's (partnered with West End Baptist Church and First Congregational Church respectively). We will get the chance to help train the church members of these churches in initiating spiritual conversations and sharing the Gospel before the actual barbeques. Please pray that God will use these events to build into the Christians around Halifax, and more importantly, to use us to reach out to the lost.



In the past weekend, I got the chance to go away with 7 other project mates for our weekend off (we get 2 weekend offs in total on project) in Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.). Below is a link to some of the pictures I took during the trip, take a look!

http://ubc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2099372&l=7a878&id=21008145




Lastly, this week has been a really convicting week for me, as I really want to see the Power of God here on project, but to be honest, so far I am not seeing much fruit out of my ministry. But as Paul says in 1Co3:7, I can only continue to wait on God and plant and water His seeds faithfully, as only He Himself can cause growth. Please pray that I will be faithful and continue to build on the foundation of Christ, with things that will not burn away but things that will last into eternity.


Thank you so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

rickyyy
sounds like a lot has been happening over there. keep going! your hard work will eventually lead to something good happening =D
i've promised to help coach the church soccer team =.=" anywaies, that gives me something to think about over the summer =T
take care~
-jasminee =]

Anonymous said...

Well written article.