Thursday, May 17, 2007

Update #2 - Pounding the Pavement

Hey there! I am still adjusting to blogging here on blogspot.com, so bear with me. The good thing here is that anyone can leave comments, so leave me with your thoughts and feedback, and prayer requests too if you've got some! I would really appreciate it!

Here's the actual update:


Just to start things off, here's a photograph of our team (with 3 girls and a few staff missing):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIG PICTURE:
After sending out update #1 two weeks ago (time surely is flying by!), which coincided with the conclusion of our weekend project orientation, our goal for the past two weeks was simple and clear:

GO POUND THE PAVEMENT AND FIND A JOB!

This goal actually fits in perfectly with the purpose of this project, which is for us to become spiritual multipliers by not only walking by faith ourselves, but teaching others to do the very same thing. As it was said in 2 Timothy 2:2:

"And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others."

With a job secured, we can really become a part of the city, so that we can, as light in the world, bring the Good News to the locals who have yet to know Christ.

So far, after two weeks of search, I have yet to secure a job. However, I have gotten in contact with one of the Psychology professors here at Dalhousie University and have gotten the chance to do some volunteer work. Hopefully, be it through a paid job or a volunteer job, I will get the opportunity to connect with more locals here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW IT ALL HAPPENED:
To sum up what actually took place in the past two weeks, basically, our schedules looked like variations of this on weekdays:

8:00-8:30 Prayer Meeting
9:00-4:00 JOB HUNTING
4:30-5:00 Prayer Meeting
6:00-7:00 Dinner
7:00-9:00 Training/Fellowship/Discipleship/Evangelism
9:00... Social time

In addition, on both Tuesday evenings and Saturday afternoons, we had times where we went out for some initiative evangelism. So far, through various different avenues, such as soccer, spiritual conversations, or doing simple surveys, we have made friends with at least ten people, some of them students, and have gotten the chance to share the Gospel on several different occasions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Praise:
I could make a long list of items to give thanks for, but there are a few things I would just like to praise God specifically:

1. Me and my roommates.

I am really thankful for these guys that I am living with. We get along very well (so far!!) and are always on the lookout for each other.

From Left to Right: Paulman, myself, Steve, Gilberto







Paulman is the guy who actually shares a room with me. We get along really well, and we actually knew each other from before (as he is a SFU student).




2. Last Tuesday, May 8th, we split up into three different teams to initiate spiritual conversations around university campuses and the downtown area, and we got the chance to proclaim the Gospel to a good number of people.

We even saw two girls come to Christ! Their names are Denise and Vivi. It was very encouraging to see God working right off the bat.

For me personally, I got the chance to go sharing partnered with Colleen, one of my teammates from the University of Western Ontario, and shared the Gospel with a soccer player who was just getting warmed up for a game that evening on the St. Mary's University field. It was encouraging because as we chatted, his friend showed up. Me and Colleen were a bit worried, but it turns out the friend is a Christian himself and was really eager to join in our conversation.


3. In addition, on this past Monday, May 14th, we prepared a surprise birthday party for two of our teammates, Tabitha and Kacey. But what happened was really beyond our plan, as we actually saw two Muslim guys (whom some of my teammates got a chance to talk to the previous Tuesday during initiative evangelism) and about four Asian international students join us for the evening.

On yet another night, this past Tuesday, May 15th, we knocked on random doors around the residences and invited three new faces to join us for a game of soccer. It's really great seeing how easy it's been so far for us to meet students and people around the city.

Here's a photograph of the surprise birthday party that saw all the new comers:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your part:
Now this is the most important part of this update! You, my friends, family, and supporters, have a big role to play!

As we are in the body of Christ, I hope that you can pray for me and my team! On the left is a list of prayer items, if you could just lift a word up to the Big Man about the items, that would be great!

And like I said, lemme know your thoughts and prayer requests as well!


Thank you so much!

Until next time... keep fit and have fun!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are having fun in Halifax, it sure sounds like it.

You are in my prayers. I hope God does wonders through you and your team. Be blessed.

ps. I hope you find a job soon!!

Anonymous said...

hiya Ricky,
how ur doing in halifax? i can see ur having fun...
i miss u at AWANA.. without ur enthusiatism, it will be a boring group...=(

i pray for u to get a job soon!!!!=)
thx in Christ,
webster=)

Unknown said...

Pakky, it sounds like you are already having a wonderful time and more importantly experiencing a lot of new things!

It was so nice to getan email form you personally inviting me to your blogspot...hehee...

Keep blogging, I enjoy reading your messages. You have a very distinct writing style that makes it seem like I'm actually conversing with you.

If there's one thing I've learned so far on my trip, its that God is omnipresent. I feel that more here than ever. And I'm sure God is in Halifax with you as well. I'll have a chat with Him about you and ask Him to look after you!

God Bless
Cat

caitou said...

wow
sounds pretty routined...
lol, i see lots of mentions of 'girls' in your post. XD i'm sure you'll be happy abt that...haha
anywaies, hope everything is okayy over there. take lots of pictures! i've never been to halifax...wonder what it looks like....

Anonymous said...

Thru your update, I can see you experienced a lot in Halifax, specially in God's way, no matter how hard is it, you still give thanks to God, that's great! Pls keep on update your blog, I promise I will keep you in my prayer everyday. :)

In Him,
GMow